Recent Posts

Sunday, August 30, 2015

I'm in a airport.

 That's right. I'm sitting at the gate on the way back to SLC because ya girl starts school tomorrow AND because my grandmothers funeral is over. 

First, can I say that airports are getting more and more fancy with their food? Like for real, this one has a Los Taquitos. Pretty sure it means tacos and to me that's a lot fancier than a McDonald's.

Second, a couple just walked by both wearing shirts with a bald eagle and an American flag that I definitely saw at Walmart last week...and every time I've been to Walmart those have been there in the past 10 years. I should just totally cave and buy one, too. 

Third, my grandmothers funeral was a BEAUTIFUL celebration of her life and I'm so thankful that I got to go. My Grandma Joy definitely was her name. I just feel so blessed that I even got to have her as my grandmother. She worked so hard for her family. I mean she was a telephone operator for 37 years, doing the graveyard shift,just so her kids could do extracurricular activities. She was a fashionista that was always looking for a bargain. She loved her cheetah print. Also, her love and devotion she shared with my grandpa Reed for the past almost 70 years is something that I cherish. I think the most heartbreaking thing to watch yesterday was my grandpa. I mean, the woman that he cared for and loved and labored with for the past 70 years was gone. His very best friend. Watching him stand alone as her casket was loaded into the car made me realize more than ever that one of the most important things we can do is strengthen and cherish those eternal relationships here on earth. I'm so thankful for my grandparents and the examples they have set in my own life. I'm so thankful for those precious covenants we make in the temple so that we can be together for forever.


                Grandpa Reed and I!


Fourthly, if that's even a word, in the past week something has been pressing on my heart a TON and I've been pondering it ALL THE STINKING TIME. It's that we  are totally our spirits and we are NOT our bodies. I know I know, you're probably thinking, "old news Em, you've known that since you've exited the womb." But seriously! I've been thinking about it a ton. For example, I am Emily, I am NOT my eating disorder. My spirit is pure, but my body is prone to imperfections and trials. My negative thoughts are not  my spirit. Depression is not my spirit, etc. Every time I've made a decision this week I've asked myself,"is this going to nourish my spirit or is it going to hurt it?" 
So if I had a negative thought about myself, I would cast it out because it wouldn't help my spirit. That's just one example. I know I'm totally rambling but this has just hit me so hard. Everything that I do in life, I want it to nourish my spirit and help me grow eternally. I don't want the fears, negative thoughts, self doubt, mental disorders to harm my eternal growth anymore. I've realized that I will face those things my whole life, but I don't have to entertain them or define who I am. Because who I am is a daughter of an Almighty God. I'm not my eating disorder, I'm not my fears, I'm not my doubts. I am His. 

0 comments: