Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

girls girls girls


I would like to say a few words about girls. I love them, I cherish them, and I am one of them (some find that hard to believe after they see how good I am at the man's game called whiffle ball), but sometimes I get so frustrated when I see some of them tear down other girls ALL OF THE TIME by little snide comments. They don't really think it's "tearing" someone down or rude, they just honestly believe they're stating facts with a compliment at the beginning. Here are a few examples that I have heard:

"Yeah her lesson was good, BUT did you see her skirt? Totally didn't cover her gross knees, poor girl."

"She is nice, BUT like, could she seriously just calm herself every once in a while, her voice sounds like something dying."

"Yeah I know she is going through a hard time and that's why she's gaining weight, but I am going through a hard time too, you don't see me crying or running to McDonalds to buy a big mac every time I have a problem."

"She does have great hair, but dude, did you hear her solo in church today? Kind of sounded like a boy going through middle school puberty all while singing a hymn."

After hearing all four of those statements I don't know whether to a) laugh at how ridiculous it all is or b) to throw my diet coke at them.

Honestly, I wish girls would just remember that we are all SISTERS, that everyone is going through a hard time! We were all raised differently and as such, we react differently to situations. We need to empathize and truly be our sister's keeper. Just because you start off by complimenting someone doesn't give you the right to ridicule later or EVER.

Who cares if Sandy wears pig tails still? That's how she likes to whip her hair!

Who cares if Donna likes to be center of attention by singing her sentences? That's what makes her shine!

Who cares if Wendy dates any boy that walks through the door? Let her get at that free food!

And who cares if Sasha is eccentric and draws anime? Let her be multi-cultural! She might even draw a picture of you and make you a warrior princess in her next comic book!

I just wish girls would remember that we are all here for a purpose, life is hard, and to have someone telling you that you aren't good enough, when you already think that about yourself, is not fun. We have got to empower people!


0 comments: